More brilliant resources for PSHE & mental health
Another great set of resources from Dr Pooky Knightsmith to support your work with the students on areas of PSHE and mental health.
Before you break up for the summer holidays, there are a few new resources, blog posts and book recommendations I wanted to draw your attention to which you might want to bookmark for next term.
I hope you find them useful. Thank you to all of you who have welcomed me to your school or organisation – I’ve taught over 10,000 people about mental health this year – so I’m looking forward to the summer holidays! Thank you for your continued hard work, improving the lives of young people. As ever, let me know how I can better support you in your work.
Guidance and Policies
- Mental Health Policy & Guidance to adapt for your school / college
- Retaining Pupil Trust without Promising Confidentiality – guidance for school staff
- Encouraging Behaviour Change Using Motivational Interviewing [GUIDE]
- Cognitive Remediation Therapy (CRT) for Eating Disorders [GUIDE]
- Teaching about Mental Health Safely and Sensitively [GUIDE]
Support and Advice
- What Not to Say if a Child is Self-Harming
- 103 Questions To Help Children Open Up About Their Day
- 5 Ideas for Raising Teenage Self-Esteem
- 10 Ways to Support a Bereaved Friend
Guest Blog Posts
- First Hand Account: DBT – what it is and how it’s helped me
- The challenge of mental health problems as a whole school
- First Hand Account: Living with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)
Books and Resources
- Worry Writing – A poem to encourage children to share what worries them
- Eating Disorders Awareness Raising Videos from Bournemouth Uni
- Book Review: Banish Your Self-Esteem Thief
- Book Review: Creating Children’s Art Games for Emotional Support
- Self-Harm from a Parent’s Perspective – Theresa Larsen
- New Storybow Story: For familiarising 5 to 9-year-olds with hospital
- Resource: Board Game to Support Young Carers
- Talking to Students Causing Concern [book extract]
- Your chance to take part in a BBC discussion on mental health
- Optimus Event: Delivering Age-Appropriate Relationships & Sex Education
- ReTHINK Conference 23rd September 2015, Newcastle
I hope you find these resources useful. If you’d like me to train your staff or deliver a parent workshop, I’m currently booked up until January but I’m happy to hold provisional dates for later in the year – please email my PA Maria@inourhands.com to discuss availability.
I hope you have a fantastic summer. Remember, you need to look after your own wellbeing before you look after everyone else’s so I hope you have some good R&R planned for the coming weeks.
Very best wishes,