Last Week I Learnt That…#27
- I get very excited when I see my name in print! I wrote a piece a while ago and forgot all about it but was delighted when I was sent an electronic version of it. Do go and read it ‘I’m in Print!’
- Acne has to visit you at sometime in your life! I was very lucky as a teenager and didn’t see that explosion of spots and other unpleasant items on my face. However over the past week they have appeared! How embarrassing is that? Folks expect and accept them in your teens but at 60…!!
- Being 60 gets you discounts. I had my first experience of this when we visited Salisbury Cathedral. It said ‘Concessions’ on the list of prices so we asked and sure enough, now I’m 60, I’m a concession. You can imagine the sort of comment hubby made whilst handing over ‘not quite so much money’ can’t you? There is an assumption out there, mainly among folks who are under 60, that we sexagenarian get all sorts of freebies, offers and money off. However, that is not the case. Some of them have now been withdrawn and others are means tested so it was good to find one that applied to me.
- I didn’t realize I had so many stereotypical ideas. It really hit me when I had a wonderful, wonderful Skype session with a school in Abju, Nigeria. I had looked at the school website so knew that it was an African school with African teachers and children. That was my first surprise. Whilst talking to the principal (who is also the owner and a member of Team100WC) I asked her how the children come to school. I seemed to be surprised when she said that their parents bring them in their cars. I wonder how I thought they got there?!!
- The middle of the night changes you. That sounds rather mysterious but what I mean is during the day, I am able to organize my thoughts. I can plan the work that I want to do, together with jobs and chores. I am in control of things in my head. Come the night (well the middle if the night) and I become this wreck who just panics about everything to the point that it stops me sleeping and gives me a headache. Thankfully, once I’m up things go back to normal but of course I’m tired and haven’t the chance to go to sleep!
A thoughtful week for me. How was yours?
If you like please share
Please click to share